Sunday, March 11, 2007

My Preferences in a Pocket Folder

Before I begin reviewing knives and other pointed objects, I suppose I should explain my own expectations of a knife. I am not a cop, a fireman or a soldier. I generally avoid dark alleys in bad parts of town at night. I am not a part-time SWAT member nor do I hunt, kill and skin animals with any great frequency. I live in an urban environment so I seldom have to build my own shelter at night. I'm an IT professional and there are lots of things I still use a blade for in my day-to-day life.

I have carried fixed and folding knive my entire adult life. For years I carried the little Victorinox classic but I went through several a year as I beat them up pretty regularly. I had an old Gerber Bolt-Action folding drop point I carried but then I discovered the pocket clip, the device that allows you to carry a larger folder with ease and convenience.

A pocket-clip folder should meet the following requirements:

Blade:
2.5" - 2.9" length
Drop point style blade
Unserrated edge
Easy to open with wet or slippery hands

Frame/Handles:
Wet gripability
No serrated or rough edges to abrade or snag on clothing
Sized appropriately to the blade

Pocket Clip:
Placed for tip-up carry
Broad base to support knife without bunching pocket fabric
Rounded tip with adequate tension

Overall Design:
Frame or Liner lock design
Tip-up carry position makes for fast opening
Handle designed to accommodate a fast draw
No sharply serrated edges or protrusions to snag or wear clothing
Blade has sufficient mass to "flip" open with a snap of the wrist
Clip is designed to enhance grip

I want a solid knife that won't wear out under reasonable use and is tough enough to handle the occasional abuse without failing. It should have a fine (non-serrated) blade that is sturdy enough to pry with if I have to. It does not require:
  • A recurved blade
  • Protruding guards or hilts
  • Extreme texturing of handles or sharply serrated edges

No comments: